Saturday, July 5, 2008

Sneaker saga

I really like to shop at Famous Footwear. It's the only place I can find decent sneakers for everyone, and typically the prices are at least reasonable if not incredible. We're fortunate that the children aren't particular about brands or styles, although I prefer New Balance because they seem to last longer and come in wide sizes, which fit my boys better.

Larry's foot decided to grow three sizes this week (ala the Grinch) so he informed me Thursday morning that he needed new sneakers. I told him we had plans to go in a couple of weeks and he explained that he meant he couldn't wear his sneakers at all, that his foot had completely outgrown his shoes. We already had plans to walk in the parade yesterday morning, so I arranged our schedule to squeeze in sneaker shopping.

I should probably explain that our boys basically get a new pair of shoes once or twice a year. Their old sneakers -- if they can still wear them -- become their play shoes and their new ones are for everything else. (They also each get a pair of knockoff Crocs.) A buy one, get one half price sale is ongoing at FF, so I had both boys fitted up with brand-new New Balance wides and even splurged on Gold Toe socks -- also on sale.

Satisfied that my day's shopping had gone well and we were caught up on our needs, with the added bonus that I had found a super-soft set of organic cotton sateen sheets for our bed for an incredibly low price at Ross, we headed out to camp to pick up our much-missed Miss Curly Sue.

Who discovered shortly after arriving home that she had left her sneakers at camp.

Sigh.

No comments: