Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Let's gather 'round the campfire and sing our campfire song

...our C-A-M-P-F-I-R-E song/And if you don't think that we can sing it faster then you're wrong/But it'll help if you just sing along...

(Can anyone name that cartoon? Hint: He lives in a pineapple under the sea.)

You'll notice I haven't mentioned that Curly Sue is at church camp this week. That would be because Mama has been trying not to think about it too much. Oh, it was one thing to send my completely ready but still "my baby" 12-year-old -- and that was plenty hard! -- but my sweet and silly 8-year-old darling girl has been another story.

Plus, she left me here completely surrounded by boys. Now, I love boys, especially my boys, but I share so many girls-only moments with Curly Sue every day that I'm really missing that interaction. She is a constant source of encouragement to me and will be very proud that I've lost another pound in her absence.

It helps to know she's having a fantastic time with her friends from church, and she makes friends very easily so hopefully she's spending time with new ones as well. She'll swim and eat and play and exercise and worship and learn, but for the first time in her life I'll miss out on nearly a whole week of being there with her while she does.

"And the face in the water looks up
And she shakes her head, as if to say
That it's the last time you'll look like today"
(Genesis, "Ripples")

Man, I'm in a melancholy mood today. I must away to the elliptical to work off some of my not-so-lovely lady lumps.

No comments: