Monday, July 14, 2008

Sanctuary





Months ago, I offhandedly proposed to Geddy the idea of turning our breakfast nook into a sitting area for me. After all, I reasoned, he has his drum area and the children have their own bedrooms. We have a formal dining room with a large table, perfect for using at mealtime, and the children have desks in our schoolroom. Why shouldn't I have a quiet place of my own?

He thought it was a good idea but time and money made it a low priority for us. However, things came together over the weekend when we found a good home for our kitchen table and chairs and found some wicker furniture, a cushion and throws on clearance.

The loveseat, coffee table and baker's rack are from Big Lots, the rug is from Ross and the cool lamp/shelf, sheers and window scarf are from Wal-Mart. We bought three bar stools for the children to use at the counter, and one will double as a desk chair for me when I do planning on the desk part of the baker's rack.

My recipe and homemaking books are on the baker's rack and the shelf under the coffee table is for my Bibles, journal and study materials. The candle garden was a Christmas gift from Curly Sue.

My days are pretty hectic sometimes, and I hope to find rest and refreshment in my little sanctuary.

3 comments:

Jenni said...

What a lovely, sunny space! Is it open to the rest of the house or is there a door you can close on the rest of the world? Sometimes I love having my computer and desk in the center of everything, but sometimes I would just like to be able to shut out the noise and concentrate on my own thoughts. Enjoy your room!

Dayle said...

So pretty! Enjoy your space and the quiet I hope it gives you!!!!

Dayle in Guatemala

Kelly said...

I am so glad for you, Becky! It looks great... very refreshing. I can't wait to sit on the sofa to chat while you make lunch :o).