Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Balance

Melissa's thread at The Well-Trained Mind forums set off a dialogue -- me with myself -- about the way I do things, as primary homekeeper. One of the most interesting responses on the thread was this one, by Stacia:

" I've been slowly decluttering for over a year now. I can't even count how much we've tossed or donated. Now that it's mostly under control, my mental energy (and peace from all the serenity, lol) can be put to use finding ways to be a better/more-educated consumer (consume less to begin with, reuse more, etc...). So, for me, it was a progression of steps. Clear out. Then, change our habits for the better (to maintain all the work done in the clearing out stages)."

Stacia was able to put into words what I hope to gain from constantly working on the clutter. Doubts creep in, though. Do I really want to part with the craft things I brought home after my mother-in-law's death? Or the music, movies, etc. my brother left behind when he died? Someday I might need these towels, even though they're a bit ratty. I might not be able to afford to replace the kitchen gadgets if I suddenly decide I need them down the road.

So I pray for strength to believe wholeheartedly in the Lord's provision, take a deep breath and bless someone else with my possessions. I keep a few precious things from my loved ones who are gone and I donate trim and material to the Linus Project and pass along the music and movies to another brother who wants them. The towels go to Goodwill, where they will be made into bundles of shop rags to sell. The kitchen gadgets go into a box for my shortly-to-be-college-bound niece and nephew.

I am left with space to breathe, a reasonable amount of time to devote to caring for a reasonable amount of "stuff," and the peace that Stacia mentioned.

Check out this great blog by Jennifer, another member of the TWTM forums: Halving it All.

No comments: