Monday, July 7, 2008

Run runaway

I am not the kind of person to be flattered by great declarations of past crushes and sighs or regrets over what might have been. (Really, what's the point of rehashing that kind of stuff once you're properly grown up, anyway?) And when I think of how I had to sit on the sidelines so often because I didn't measure up, the intended flattery only serves to tick me off.

The lesson here, boys and girls, is that it's not nice to reinvent the past for your own purposes. Folks get hurt. Stray comments, even ones meant as compliments, may open up old wounds and new cans of worms. So "beware of the half truth, for you may have gotten hold of the wrong half." Yeah, like the backside of a politician.

See chameleon, lying there in the sun
All things to everyone
Run, runaway
-- Slade, 1984

No comments: