Thursday, July 31, 2008

At last/My schoolbooks have come along...

We had an appointment with the orthodontist in the next town this morning, and on the way home I said to Larry, "Wouldn't it be great if there was a package waiting on the porch?" And there was!

Addressed to Larry, the package contained a portion of his texts and materials for our first year in Georgia Virtual Academy. School begins in 13 days and I was *assured* the materials would be here no later than two weeks before the start date, which would make this the date by which all the materials should be here. Not so. One box is better than no boxes, but still...

Shouldn't matter that much? On the contrary. I do not possess the "wait and see" gene. In fact, God replaced that particular gene with what we like to call the Rowland Fidgets, handed down through generations of Rowlands. And though I married out of the name, I kept the gene. So I do not wait and see...I fidget.

(Also, I like for people to do what they say they are going to do. That's not a genetic thing but a preference.)

Unpacking the box was fun, less so for Larry than for me. I think because he had traumatic procedures performed on him at the orthodontist, but also he might have just been hungry. We both giggled at the sight of our third copy of "The Hobbit" but applauded K12's good taste. A couple of other things we've already used as well, but I was thrilled to see some Homer, Shakespeare and Stevenson in among the literature selections.

He starts pre-algebra this year and that looks interesting. He also has life science and I am praying there is no dissection, because that very word conjures up the smell of formaldehyde, death and decay from high school anatomy.

On a happier note, Geddy is bringing home our (newshinyblue) laptop this afternoon. I know nothing about wireless Internet, which I am going to need soon for a trip, or setting up two computers to run at the same time at home, which I am going to need immediately. This is why I need friends.

I hope we get boxes for Curly Sue and Moe tomorrow. I hope, and I fidget.

2 comments:

Nellie the Great said...

LOL...at least **you** got some of your books. We still haven't gotten our packages. We're one year GVA veterans, though, so I pretty much know what to expect (our student is only in the 2nd grade). It was nice, however, to see that her online lessons are already accessible. I recommend taking a look at your first weeks worth of lessons and just poking around. Took us a couple of weeks to just get used to the work flow last year. Oh...and with science, check to make sure you don't need to have any materials made up in advance. It always stinks to pull up the science lesson for the day and find out you're supposed to have soaked seeds the night before (learned that one the hard way). Other than that, I think you'll have a blast with GVA. I know we did last year!!

A crash of rhinos said...

Thanks for the tips! It's good to know other folks are having good experiences with GVA. I haven't checked the online lessons but I'll look around today. (And I promise I'll read the science lessons in advance.) Hope you get your stuff soon!