Saturday, January 10, 2009

Well, whaddya know?

My bloodwork came back, and I have Heliobacter pylori. I was first treated for it in June and I don't know if it came back or never left. I will start a new round of antibiotics and stomach medicine Monday, but I'm not certain whether I'll have to have an upper GI.

I took Curly Sue to the allergist last week because she's been running a low-grade fever and having headaches and tummyaches for a few days, off and on. He spent about three seconds looking at her, very shortly said, "She's got a virus" and told me to make her drink liquids. I started to ask him about some literature I've been reading about wheat and dairy intolerances and their cumulative effect, intending to see if he thought there was a connection between that and her symptoms over the last few months, but he cut me off and said, "You'll have to ask your pediatrician about that." I like the other allergist better but his attitude is much the same, so I have gotten the name of a naturopathic doctor a few towns over, and I hope to have him check out the children.

It's tough when I know *something* isn't right but can't put my finger on it, especially when a doctor blows me off like that!

I'm leaving in a little while to meet up with some of my high school girlfriends. I can't wait to catch up with them and see what they're doing now. I'm sitting in total silence -- Geddy took The Hat Trick out to lunch and to run some errands, so I had a lovely, long, hot shower with no interruptions. (I joke that I haven't been to the bathroom by myself in 13 years, but truthfully that's not far off the mark.)

My friends and I are meeting at Olive Garden, and because the children are staying with my parents and G has a work dinner, I may actually visit the mall for awhile before heading home. An hour or two by myself at Borders, and maybe a tall coffee, will be heaven.

Tomorrow I start lesson planning for the rest of our school year. I needed a few things to round out the littles' schedule and quite a lot (cost-wise, at least) for Larry. I ordered Wordly Wise for all three; Sequential Spelling, The Complete Writer and Horizons Math for the littles; Teaching Textbooks Pre-Algebra, Apologia Science and Latin Road to English Grammar for Larry. He will pick up in Sonlight 6 for writing, literature, history and geography. I will be glad to be back in control of our schedule!

No comments: