Sunday, January 25, 2009

All that remains is the fax, ma'am

Tomorrow, G sends off our notice of intent to homeschool. I'm still not certain of the time frame for withdrawal from Georgia Virtual Academy, but we no longer have access to the online school and I can only assume that means we're officially gone. We've had no contact from the school or the curriculum provider, but that's no surprise because lack of communication was one of the determining factors in our withdrawal.

The children liked their teachers and so did I, so it was hard to leave them. They still will be able to contact them, though, and that takes the sting out of the withdrawal.

We start a full schedule with Curly Sue and Moe tomorrow, except for Prima Latina and Ambleside Online. For another week or two, most of their work will be in workbooks. I hope to finish "Peter and the Shadow Thieves" with them, finally, during read-aloud time. Larry and I are still tweaking his schedule, though we have yet to add his Sonlight 6 elements and Latin Road to English Grammar. Fortunately, he is strong in verbal skills so we are in no rush as he gets comfortable with his science and pre-algebra programs.

G will be traveling this week and on one evening I will be alone with my doggies while The Hat Trick visits Nannie and Paw-Paw. I hope to use that quiet time to work on firming up lesson plans for February and a schedule for the rest of the year. We're shooting for completing our work in late May or early June, taking several weeks off and starting a light schedule the second week of July so we can take regularly scheduled breaks throughout next school year.

Our long-range plans include looking into a co-op situation where Larry can get high school credits for math and science (and possibly other subjects), but we have another full school year to make final decisions. I can't believe my sweet angel baby boy is going to be a teenager in a couple of months! I'd love to stick my head in the sand and ignore the idea of him being in high school, but of course I can't.

Off to look at baby photos now. *sniffle* Maybe listen to "Sunrise, Sunset, too." *sob*

No comments: