Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Germs for a winter day

The Hat Trick is down for the count with a nasty cold, spread amongst the three. They are bummed because tonight is The Journey and they love to go. They'll miss the "big game" at the university tomorrow night as well.

Presently, they are full of supplements, breakfast, juice/tea and Zyrtec and happily involved in a Moody Science Classic. We might not be able to go anywhere, but the learning never stops. Yesterday, we watched President Obama's inauguration and we recorded MLK's "I Have a Dream" speech to watch together as well. MLK's birthday is the same day as my dad's and late brother's birthday, Jan. 15, though it's rarely (never?) celebrated on the actual day.

....

A few minutes ago, I let Susie out and sat on my sunny steps contemplating the quiet while she did her business. It's not warm out. I walked across the grass to the mailbox and the frost in the shady part of the yard burned and froze my bare feet. Turning back empty-handed, I found myself face to beak with a mockingbird. We stared at each other until Susie came tearing back through the bushes, begging to be let inside.

"He shook his little tail at me, and far away he flew."

....

Today I reorganize the school room and introduce Larry to the Latin Road to English Grammar. Next week, we solidify the littles' schedule. I can't believe the relief I feel without all the extra pressure from the charter school. I'm sorry that didn't work out, but at least I know which direction we're heading. A long, warm nap will help with everyone's sickies and be just the thing to get us back on track. I have several books to keep me company: The Myth of Laziness, the ADHD Book of Lists, Nourishing Traditions and maybe some true crime.

Or maybe I'll just take a nap too!

No comments: