Sunday, April 13, 2008

Like I need another favorite store(s)!

On the enthusiastic recommendations of several people -- okay, mostly posters on The Well-Trained Mind forums, but that's where I get my best information anyway -- I dragged Geddy and the children an hour to scout out Trader Joe's and Whole Foods Market.

We hit Trader Joe's first. It was smallish and hip with a bunch of specialty items like flowers, coffee and wine. We bought some fun things there: sparkling pink lemonade, chocolate-covered raisins, cereal, organic animal crackers, organic uncured turkey hot dogs and sausage and red chai tea. At that point, we decided the drive wouldn't be worth it for us in terms of actual groceries instead of treats.

Then we hit Whole Foods, which is ginormous and definitely would make a monthly trip pay for itself. We made note of the price difference between items we buy at our local grocery from the organic/natural section and at WF, and it was pretty significant in some cases. WF carries Charlie's Natural Soap with a shelf price of $8.99, a full $5 less than the website. Dr. Bronner's soap was cheaper at WF and we were pleased to see several hard-to-find items there as well.

We enjoyed sampling granola, sausage, cheeses, dips and vitamin drinks and treated ourselves to pizza slices and all-natural colas for lunch. Geddy is totally on board with the monthly trip and pointed out how fun it will be to have pizza and all shop together for necessities and some treats at both stores. (I suspect his enthusiasm stems partly from the fact that his favorite drum store is on the way, but that's a different story.)

On another note, I soon will be taking down the Adventures in Allergies blog. I cannot maintain both blogs -- heck, I can barely maintain this one!

1 comment:

Robin said...

I shop at TJ's every week. The dairy and egg prices are really good - and rBst free! I haven't kept track of where you guys are with eggs and dairy as far as allergies.

There is continual talk of us getting a Whole Foods, but it hasn't happened yet.

I hope you'll continue to share your adventures in allergies even though you're stopping that blog.