Monday, April 7, 2008

Being cool

Church yesterday was tough. I was in a sullen mood all morning. I couldn't get into worship because all my junk was cluttering my mind. So I did what any self-respecting almost-40-year-old would do: I went to get my ears pierced for the second and third times.

I thought that would help me feel cool.

See, every day, I look down and see my hands looking old. I look in the mirror and see my face getting old. Gray hairs aren't a novelty any longer, but an actuality. I loathe Top 40 music. I do the same 45 jobs every day and have the same 100 conversations with my children every week. I am not cool.

Yesterday, I felt particularly insignificant, as meaningless as an unvisited grave.

But God in his mercy showed me in a most glorious manner that He never, never forgets about me. And if He can't reach me in His house, He'll find me wherever I am.

Or send someone else to find me.

I sat pouting in the passenger seat while Geddy filled the gas tank, and I noticed a beat-up car beside us at the gas station. It was still running as the tank automatically filled, and the driver was nowhere to be seen.

"Oh, great!" I grumbled. "We'll probably all get blown up."

I glared at the car's owner as she came out of the store. Believe me, I made all the usual assumptions. I heard Geddy say something, and suddenly there she was, tapping on the glass of my window.

"Excuse me," she said when I opened the door, "but do you remember me?"

Nope. Never saw you before in my life.

"You gave me and my grandbaby a ride home one day."

Oh! Um...

Then I remembered her. She and her little granddaughter were walking home from a convenience store last January in the bone-chilling, wet Georgia cold. I stopped and bundled her and the little girl into the front seat of my warm car, then drove them the mile or two to her daughter's house.

I asked after them, and she told me her daughter and granddaughter have moved back into town. She lives in the next state but visits them often. I wished her well and we drove on.

I was thoughtful -- humbled -- but no longer sullen.

It only took me half a second to pull over and offer that ride. No trouble, no time, no money. Me? I forgot all about it as soon as we delivered them to the door. Yet more than a year later, this woman still remembered. It may have been inconsequential to me, but it clearly meant something to her. I meant something to her.

Later, I had three holes punched in my ears. My new earrings look gorgeous. And I got my wish, because before we went to sleep, Geddy told me I'm cool.

"Yeah," I said, fingering my sparkly ears. "Aren't they pretty?"

"Not because of those," he said. "But because today, you were mistaken for Jesus."

"Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares." -- Hebrews 13:2.

1 comment:

Robin said...

That's a great story. I started reading; I was relating so much to not being cool and having this crazy desire to put more holes in my ear (but being afraid of being more uncool by doing so).

And then you whacked me on the head and showed me what cool is really all about - and how my fear gets in the way of being like Jesus too.