Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Well-schooled

Legally, our family is no longer homeschooling because the children are enrolled in Georgia Virtual Academy this year, which makes them public school students working at home. As I've said, we have committed to one year and will make future decisions based on this year's experience.

So far, I am very pleased with the materials provided by GVA, even if the communication leaves a bit to be desired. However, I am willing to squelch my misgivings because the more I see, the more I am convinced Geddy was correct in his observation that this program will be greatly beneficial to our family.

I am a great supporter of homeschooling but a bigger supporter of support; that is, encouraging all parents to make the best educational choices for their children according to their family's abilities and convictions.

Boy howdy, if I thought I took it on the chin from public school supporters in the six years we independently homeschooled, I didn't know what I was in for from the homeschooling community when I joined a virtual school!

I don't need anyone to point out my shortcomings. As Bridget Jones would say, I already feel like an idiot most of the time. But I'm doing just what I would encourage other folks to do, and that's the best I can for my children according to my family's abilities and convictions.

1 comment:

Kelli in TN said...

My stepsister is experiencing the same sort of thing since joining a Wisconsin virtual academy.

The attitudes surrounding this are just crazy.