Friday, August 15, 2008

The gift of service

The episode of "Friends" where Phoebe is trying to do something nice without getting anything in return is hilarious, but there's definitely some truth in the idea that do-gooders enjoy do-gooding because it makes us feel good.

I offered to help a scooter-bound lady in the grocery store yesterday but she wasn't having any part of it. Not content with a no, thank you, she yelled that she didn't need my help and I felt humiliated in front of everyone in the produce section and worse, my three children.

I won't hesitate to offer next time I see what I think is a need, though I might cower a little. But I sure as shot will be thinking a whole lot more about the person to whom I'm offering assistance than about myself.

And that's not a bad thing.

1 comment:

Robin said...

I'm sorry you were yelled at. That's just wrong.

But it makes me see Jesus in you - think of how many times He was yelled at (or worse) for trying to help someone.

Keep your head up.