Thursday, May 29, 2008

The five-year ache

For the first time since 2003, I had to see a doctor because I was sick. My weekend virus turned into a stuffy head and chest, with trouble swallowing, so I saw Dr. U Tuesday.

Trouble swallowing is a sign of acid reflux, apparently, so he prescribed Prevacid, drew some blood to check for H. pylori and scheduled an upper GI for Friday morning.

The problem was, I also had a sinus infection which turned itself into debilitating and nauseating head and throat pain, unalleviated by Advil, by yesterday afternoon. I'm no crybaby, so when I called Geddy, in tears, for help he immediately called the nurse, who told me to come back in. I wound up getting a steroid shot for inflammation and another shot for pain and nausea, plus antibiotics. I slept from 6 p.m.-8 a.m. and the headache was much better this morning.

Lo and behold, when I went back for my recheck this morning, I had tested positive for H. pylori. I'm off Prevacid and the first antibiotic and on a potent two-week cocktail of two other antibiotics and Prilosec.

Oh yeah, and I have conjunctivitis in my left eye, too, so I'm taking eye drops three times a day.

I postponed my upper GI until I feel a little better, because I currently feel as though I've been run over by a truck. Which is fine, as long as I don't get sick again for another five years or so.

No comments: