Thursday, May 8, 2008

Womanly reading

Two books have really knocked me out lately. The first is a tiny tome called Where's Mom? The High Calling of Wives and Mothers by Dorothy Kelley Patterson.

"Where's Mom?" is full of wisdom and encouragement in bite-sized pieces. I didn't own the copy I read -- that belonged to the public library -- but I'm putting it on my wish list to use as a short-term Bible study. I'd love to give more thought and put pen to paper to answer questions like "Is homemaking a challenging career?" and "Is being a mother a worthy service?"

The second, Biblical Womanhood in the Home, is even more personally challenging. A series of essays on (what else?) Biblical womanhood by different female writers, this book helped me realize that in the 9+ years I've been home, I never truly have embraced being a homemaker. It's always been something I did while I was waiting for...something else. Guess that's why I've always been a miserable failure at it. Ding!

Covering everything from true beauty (Did you ever think about how physical beauty in the Bible is always linked to misery, deceit, destruction and death?) to foolish women to the much-discussed submission issue, this book went on my wish list before I had finished the second page.

If you're like me, a "Me Generation" 80's baby struggling to understand and apply Biblical principles of at-home wife/motherhood, I highly recommend these books.

No comments: