Friday, May 23, 2008

Testing my nerves

We received our Hewitt Homeschooling Resources PASS tests this week, and this morning Larry took the math section. In Georgia, homeschoolers are required to take a standardized test every three years beginning in third grade. PASS tracks progress from test to test, so Larry has taken it several times in the past few years and is pretty familiar with the process.

Curly Sue is a different story.

Theoretically, we don't have to test her because she's second-grade age by a few days. However, because GVA has agreed to enroll her as a fourth-grader, we decided to test her anyway to keep compliant with the law by treating 2007-08 as her third-grade year.

She is so incredibly nervous that it's breaking my heart. She took online placement tests for GVA, but never a bubble-in type. PASS is untimed but she's going blank on even the most simple math concepts right now.

I told her these tests are not pass or fail, that it's just a way for us to catch any learning gaps and fill them in this summer. Hopefully that will sink in. Larry was exactly the same way at her age and still does not test particularly well, but at least he has some experience.

They each still have language and reading sections to complete before I mail the answer sheets back Tuesday, and once their results are in I have to write progress reports for the two of them (also state law). I hope to finish Moe's progress report next week because I don't have to wait for test results for him.

It feels odd not to be planning and buying curriculum this spring. I feel like I need to be budgeting and shopping and writing lesson plans, or something! When our usual July start date rolls around I imagine it will be worse. Oh, well. Maybe I can occupy myself with school supply sales until our K12 materials arrive.

No comments: