Wednesday, June 24, 2009

On being old

My dad was in a car wreck when he was 10. He was thrown from a Jeep, which rolled over his head and fractured his skull behind the left ear. A yellowed scrapbook filled with wreck stories is one of his prized possessions.

I already knew the story, of course. Today, Larry and my dad were comparing notes on painful shots like cortisone and Rocephin when Larry heard about the wreck for the first time.

"They had just invented...(pause)...what's that stuff? Yeah, penicillin."

I burst out laughing at the pause but Daddy, unfazed, continued to tell Larry how he had to have the refrigerated antibiotic through pencil-sized needles every four hours but that it probably saved his life.

I was hysterical by this time, but I managed to choke out the answer to my mom's inevitable question.

"I thought he was going to say they had just invented FIRE!"

No comments: