Monday, February 23, 2009

Happy birthday, Little Boy Blue!


Today is our baby's 8th birthday. When I found out we were expecting him, his sister was just nine months old. I remember laughing hysterically at the two pink lines on the pregnancy test, and I remember the pregnancy was a nightmare of early labor, countless shots of brethine, restricted activity and hospital stays.

But what a wonderful blessing this child is to us! I truly can't imagine life without our "bonus baby," or the joy his sweet smile and wry sense of humor bring every day of our lives.

His birthday celebration began Saturday evening when his two same-age cousins slept over and watched a new Justice League DVD. After church, we had our family and a couple of neighbor children over for sandwiches, sodas, cake and ice cream. We decorated with Batman and I made his favorite devil's food cake. He received several neat gifts, including more of his beloved Legos.

This morning, his brother and sister gave him their gifts: a Batman coloring book with two sets of Twistables crayons and a Bionicle. Daddy and I are saving our gifts for his exact birthday time, 5:29 p.m. We got him a Lego beach house and a Lego biplane. Dinner is our treat but his choice, and I imagine his birthday cash and Target gift card are burning up his pocket so we'll probably be making a stop there as well.

Happy birthday, sweet angel. I'm so glad I had you!

No comments: