Friday, February 20, 2009

All hail


Wednesday brought some super storms. I dropped Larry at church to set up youth AV around 4:30, then took the Littles to the library to return/browse/check out. Shortly thereafter, we were ushered into the interior conference room because of a tornado warning, and Geddy kept us updated from our house, 10 miles away, by cell phone. I was distinctly uneasy because the church's phones were unmanned, so I couldn't check on Larry.

When we got the all-clear, we headed back to church for a quick dinner. Around nine of the children's volunteers showed up to handle the 50 or so children who came. Just about the time we checked everyone in and got in our seats in the "big room," another warning hit and we spent about 20 minutes lined up in the hallway.

It was too late to really have our program by that point, so we started Wall-E and waited for everyone to pick up the children. I took my fifth-graders back to our room to have a little birthday party for one of the girls, but as soon as I heard about yet another wave of storms threatening, I gathered my littles, dropped my nephew off with his daddy and pulled Larry out of youth group so we could beat the weather home.

We did, but man, was it an exhausting evening! Geddy took a photo (above) of the golf ball-sized hail for posterity, and our freezer was full of the buggers when we got home. Fortunately, neither of our cars was damaged and no windows were broken, but we may have to have someone look at our roof.

No comments: