Thursday, January 17, 2008

Snow day

Yesterday it snowed like crazy for the first time in about six years, and when it started sticking and showing no signs of slowing down, I made the rash promise that if the county schools were out today, my kiddos could be off as well.

County schools were out. Snow was mostly melted. Roads were clear. Geddy went to work on time.

Meh.

We ate Ramen noodles and Spaghetti-O's for breakfast, kissed off all but the bare minimum of chores and had a lovely, lazy morning. We squeezed in a school day by reading, playing math games on the computer and going on an afternoon field trip to the local newspaper.

The IT guy, (Ricky) who led our newspaper tour turned out to be a freelance photographer in his spare time. On his office wall were stunning photographs of birds of prey from an exhibition at Callaway Gardens, where several years ago I met the falconer I later featured in a magazine piece. Turns out, the Ricky's photos were the ones that accompanied my article.

Very odd to meet someone for the first time with whom I unknowingly collaborated more than two years ago!