Friday, January 11, 2008

I'm better for the smile you give

Geddy called me last night on the way home from Bible study. I was at a homeschool meeting, but I was very glad he called because he just wanted to tell me that he was thinking about me and "our song" was on the radio.

Long ago, in my other life, I dated a boy with problems. He was my first serious relationship and I loved him even though he was cruel to me. We were supposed to be engaged, but he finally did one too many things wrong, and then Geddy came into my life and I learned about forever love. Geddy and I were married 10 months later, nearly 15 years ago.

"Our song" is a quite beautiful one by Genesis called Follow You Follow Me. This is my favorite part:

I can say
The night is long but you are here
Close at hand, oh I'm better for the smile you give
And while I live

I will follow you will you follow me
All the days and nights that we know will be
I will stay with you will you stay with me
Just one single tear in each passing year there will be

I'm really not a very sentimental person, but whose heart wouldn't melt at that?