Friday, October 12, 2007

Turning a corner?

Monkey was flown to a children's hospital yesterday. She had lost function in her left lung, the pneumonia was spreading, the fever was high, the infection was bad, the white blood cell count was up...

She had surgery today to debride her lung and insert a chest tube to drain the fluid from her chest cavity. Came through it like the champ she is. She experienced immediate relief and was eating dinner when I talked to her daddy earlier. Perhaps now they can all rest easier. (All God's children say "Amen!")

Aardvark is feeling better and back to being a clown. He has this trick he can do with one eye that's gross but funny, and he's been chasing me around all evening with it. He's sore at me because I'm making him take his antibiotic and a cold/cough medicine, though. So I let him eat two bowls of Boo Berry and three bites of pizza for dinner. I'm the world's best auntie.

Larry, Curly Sue and Moe are their regular sweet selves except that Moe woke up with a very sore throat this morning. Thinking he might have picked up strep, I immediately took him to the doctor but the culture was negative. Must be the stupid goldenrod again.

All six of us walk in an American Cancer Society fundraiser tomorrow in memory of Grammie. She'll have been gone exactly four months. Hard to believe that after that amount of time, you still find yourself picking up the phone to tell her something. Geddy lost another co-worker to cancer a few days ago and got word that another work-related friend has been given six months before cancer takes her, too. So imagine our elation when a dear lady we know was declared in remission from lymphoma last night!

I now intend to drag my tired backside to the bed, from whence I shall watch the Red Sox drub the Indians. Away, away!