Friday, October 26, 2007

One shoe short of perfect

The definition of "tidying" is likely to change depending on the one doing the defining. I'm holding on to the hope that one day I'll blossom into a thorough housekeeper, but right now, simply keeping the clutter under control is my daily aspiration.

I sent the children outside with a blanket and a basket of grilled cheese sandwiches, chips, root beer and Pixy Sticks last glorious Sunday afternoon, then set to work inside. I picked up pieces 47-50 of a 50-piece magnetic building set and put them in their proper place. I did the same with three marbles and two pieces of marble run. Stray Legos, doll socks, stickers and a seashell turtle followed.

I changed three toilet tissue rolls with one square remaining, threw away one paper napkin from the table and pushed six books back onto the bookshelf. I straightened a comforter, shot a sock into the hamper and tipped up a sideways toy bin. In the kitchen, I drank the last three drops of juice before setting out a new bottle. I emptied six containers of leftovers which all together would not have equalled a serving.

By this time, the children had gathered up the remains of their picnic and, seeing the house so uncharacteristically tidy, were extra diligent about putting everything away. I asked, were they sure they gotten everything? and was assured they had. I sighed, grabbed a trash bag, headed outside, and spent the next 10 minutes collecting Pixy Stick tube tops from the yard.

Five people and a small dog live in this house, four people and the dog 24 hours a day. That's a fact. Messes are completely made but only partly tidied. That's another fact. But it's a comforting thought that we're all just a misplaced shoe or thorough vacuuming short of perfect.