Thursday, April 9, 2009

Changing names for changing times

Larry turned 13 this morning at 10:52 a.m. In honor of this day, I hereby change his name to The Teenager. I briefly considered changing my name to a four-letter word and daring my kiddos to swear, but I resisted and overcame.

Yesterday was an extremely trying day. I am in Limboland, stuck between not quite feeling well enough to do all I need to and not quite feeling ill enough to take to my bed until next week. My parents kindly brought home the children early yesterday afternoon and Moe was crying out with terrible stomach pains. He's had a sore stomach off and on for a few days and I knew he wasn't "stove up."

After seeing his flushed face and panicked expression, I decided to take him to the ER. The triage nurse was almost certain he had appendicitis, but the pain had faded by the time he was seen by a doctor, who thought it might be a kidney stone (unusual in a child, but not unheard-of). He needed to have a CT scan but that hospital's was down, so we were discharged and sent a couple of towns over to another hospital for the scan.

Thankfully, it was neither appendicitis nor a kidney stone but something called mesenteric adenitis, a fancy word for inflamed lymph nodes in his stomach. Rest and regular ibuprofen should do the trick. The doctors think it was caused by a virus, most likely the Influenza A he had two weeks ago. There is a slight possibility it was caused by celiac disease or cumulative dairy allergy, so if it persists we'll have to take him for further testing, but for now he'll have to be on total rest for a week.

Any ideas on how to tell an active 8-year-old he won't be able to hunt eggs with his cousins Sunday afternoon?

No comments: