Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Frugal things

I'm trying to do five frugal things every day, not only to help our budget but also to remind myself to be thankful for what I have. Yesterday, I:

1. Shopped at Goodwill for spring and summer clothes for Curly Sue. I bought two pairs of capris, four dresses, four skirts/skorts and five shirts for under $50. Name brands are American Girl, Gymboree, The Children's Place and Polly Flanders, so I can't fathom how much I actually saved. She loved all the pieces and was already sorting them and matching them with pieces she already has to make cute, trendy outfits. (She couldn't wear about five things I bought, so I'll return those next week.)

2. I skipped shopping at BJ's because we didn't need anything, though I usually go there to kill time during DD's dance classes and I always buy something.

3. I picked up an inexpensive soda from Dollar General (where I went to buy the one loaf of bread we needed) instead of having a frozen coffee from Starbucks.

4. We accepted an invitation to my parents' house for dinner (my dad's famous St. Patrick's Day reuben sandwiches) instead of eating out as we normally do on Tuesdays.

5. I decided to bake homemade treats for my small group girls for tonight instead of buying treats at the grocery as I normally do.

No, these things aren't earth-shattering, but I am working on my attitude of thankfulness for the Lenten season. Also, I hope to make a donation representing my foregone indulgences around Easter.

No comments: