Thursday, December 6, 2007

"Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God?" -- Gal. 1:10

I just started Beth Moore's "Living Beyond Yourself" Bible study and this jumped out at me. I used to -- and I'm not completely cured, mind you -- worry myself sick over what people thought or said about me.

I am a Christ-follower. I am not perfect. I talk too much and too loudly, I'm bossy and opinionated and my vocabulary gets whittled down to one or two expletives when I'm extremely frustrated. I am a passionate advocate for the downtrodden, my family and friends consider me the go-to girl and I love with more than my words.

I wear shabby sneakers and sweats most days, and my shirts are freebies from Geddy's company. I have a haircut that's practically maintenance-free by design. I'd rather read than eat, but if I can do both at one time, yippee! I yell at my children sometimes. I wear makeup sometimes. I loathe two-faced, gossiping hypocrites, always. Sometimes, I am one.

I vote in every election and my conscience never pricks. I'm impatient, exhausted, angry and grouchy. I'm also generous, kind, fun and goofy. I could make you believe any lie I told, but I choose not to tell lies. I apologize when I'm wrong, which is often.

I believe in heaven and hell, God and Satan and their designs on all of us. I believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God, and not because I'm a weak-minded fool bowing down to a big, bad, tyrannical religion.

There I am, like me or not. I'm best with lots of butter.