Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Purposefulness

Once in awhile someone comes along and gives us the kick in the pants we need.

As a homeschooling mom, I frequent a terrific forum where a group of people talk about their struggles, triumphs and need for chocolate or good bookshelves or the right kind of shoes for their homeschoolers (sorry, here I confess to lapsing into the world of private jokes. And that's a darn funny one!).

One of my favorite contributors is MFS, who is also the author of a very fine blog, Mental Multivitamin. I greatly admire her wit, readily admit she writes circles around anyone I know in real life and aspire to her parenting abilities. I believe her to be authentic and know her to be raising amazing children, as Larry was on the receiving end of a beautifully encouraging letter from her son several years ago.

On the forum, exhausted homeschooling parents frequently lament their lack of motivation or ability to maintain a tidy home, perform all their homeschooling duties, apply the correct amount of time to their churches/jobs/relationships, etc. While I agree that achieving perfection is impossible, I also think falling into the traps of letting others validate your failures and settling for mediocrity are dangerous, dangerous, dangerous.

That's why I appreciate this collection of blog entries. Enjoy!