Thursday, September 27, 2007

I'd still rather be reading!

I'm reading a book by Steve and Annette Economides called "America's Cheapest Family Gets You Right on the Money." So far, it's earnest and interesting. I have to admire a family that takes sound financial principles and applies them so consistently that they pay off a house on one (smallish) salary in nine years.

My husband has lost 50 pounds since last November and he dreads the inevitable, "How did you do it?" He warns people they won't like the answer, then explains that he eats healthy portions of food, exercises regularly and lifts weights a couple of times a week. I have read a dozen books on personal finance and though some authors are more interesting than others, all basically say the same thing: spend less, exercise common sense regularly and build up your resistance-to-the-gimmes muscles by denying yourself a couple of times a week.

And nobody really likes that answer, either.